Animals FAQs

How do I register my cat or dog?

If you are registering your cat and dog for the first time you will need to visit Council in person.

Register your animal

Remember to bring evidence that your dog or cat is microchipped and any supporting information (eg. Desexing certificate etc) that may qualify you for a reduced registration fee.

Registration renewals can be paid in person or via BPay.


How do I report my pet if it is lost?

Contact Customer Service on 03 5775 8555 so they can lodge a lost pet report.  You can also email council:

The Customer Service team will ask you to provide as much information as possible, such as a description, when last seen and if registered and microchipped. 


How much does it cost to have my pet released from the pound?

If your pet is impounded for the first time, fees will be waived.

Impound Fees

If you pet is impounded on a second or subsequent occasion, fees will apply prior to release. 

You may also be liable for infringements, for your pet being at large and if it isn’t registered with Council.


I have lost my dog or cat registration tag, can I get a replacement?

Yes. Contact Customer Service or visit Council and a replacement tag will be issued at a fee of $5.00.


Why do you hold animals for 8 days at the pound?

All pounds and shelters in Victoria must comply with the State Government code of practice. The code outlines how these facilities are to operate, including the mandatory holding time for stray animals.

For more information:

Code of Practice for Pounds and Shelters


How am I entitled to a reduced dog and cat registration fee?

Reduced registration fee

A reduced registration fee may apply if your animal meets one of the below criteria. Sufficient evidence must be provided to Council as required.


The following animals are eligible for a reduced registration fee:

  • Desexed dogs/cats
  • Dogs/cats kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on registered premises
  • Dogs that have undergone obedience training which complies with the regulations
  • Dogs/cats registered with an applicable organisation, if their owners are members of the applicable organisation with which the dogs are registered
  • dogs that are permanently identified in the prescribed manner and registered with the Game Management Authority.
  • Dogs that meet the criteria of a Working Dog for Livestock. 
    Applicable organisations

Approved obedience training organisations

If your dog has undergone obedience training with an approved obedience training organisation,  you may be eligible for a reduced registration rate.

To receive a reduced rate, a certificate showing that your animal has completed the training course is required.   The following organisations have been approved by the Minister for Agriculture as approved obedience training organisations:

  • Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
  • The Gentle Dog Trainers Association Inc.
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Four Paws K9 Training

Please note that not all Dog Training Establishments are “Approved Training Organisations”.

Applicable Organisations

Owners of dogs and cats are entitled to a reduced animal registration rate if:

  • The owner is a member of an applicable organisation; and
  • The animal is registered with an applicable organisation under the owners name.

Evidence of membership and the animal’s pedigree certificate with the owner’s name is required to be supplied each year to receive the reduced rate.

The following are ‘applicable organisations’: (current as of 12 March 2021)

  • Australian National Cats Inc.
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
  • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.
  • Master Dog Breeders and Associated (MDBA) 
  • A hound registered with the Game Management Authority that is microchipped




How do I report injured wildlife on Council roads?

Council's Local Laws Officers are not authorised to handle wildlife. If you find injured wildlife call Wildlife Victoria on 03 8400 7300 or the Department Environment, Land, Water and Planning on 136 186.

Wildlife Victoria


What if I can't take my horse with me when a fire is approaching?

There is a lot you can do to increase your animals chance of survival in the event of an emergency. Visit the Agriculture Victoria Horses and Livestock in Emergency  to assist your plan and prepare.