Health Businesses Registration


If you operate a personal care or body art business in Victoria, you must be registered under and comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, health-related businesses require registration with their local council.

Health businesses include, but are not limited to:

  • Hairdressing
  • Beauty therapy treatment salons including: make-up, waxing, threading, manicures, pedicures, spray tans, microdermabrasion and facials
  • Tattooing and cosmetic tattooing
  • Skin penetration - body and ear piercing
  • Colonic irrigation
  • Skin penetration procedures, including dry needling, micro-blading, laser and electrolysis
  • Wet cupping

Council monitors these businesses by:

  • Assessing the plans of new health businesses
  • Inspecting these businesses
  • Investigating complaints.

New health business registration

Any new health business must register with Council and maintain registration while operating.

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, these businesses must register with Council and pay an annual registration fee.

Operating without registration is an offence, and may attract penalties.

Council has a fixed registration period that runs from 1 January to 31 December of the same year. There is an annual fee for registration, which is set by Council.

Before you register, you should submit plans to Council. Council checks that the fittings and layout of your business meet the required standards.

Premises must also comply with the Victorian Government Health Guidelines for personal care and body art industries.

The steps to registration include:

Completing a Health Business Registration(PDF, 108KB) form.

  • An inspection of your premises will be carried out prior to a decision being made regarding the registration of your premises.
  • You might be required to undertake alterations or additional works before registration can be considered.

It is important to note that you might require planning approval to operate a business from home, and new accommodation premises will need approval from a registered building surveyor prior to providing accommodation to the public.

Running a health business from home

Some health businesses can operate from residential premises.

This is allowed as long as you follow Council’s planning requirements for running a home business. You might need a planning permit to run a business from home.

Businesses operating from a home are also required to comply with the relevant regulations and guidelines.

For more information on these relevant guidelines and regulations, visit:

Renewing your registration

Council will send you a notice to renew your business registration.

To renew your registration, simply complete the provided application renewal form and pay the registration fee. Return the completed form and fee to Council by the due date.

Failure to renew your registration by January 1 might result in a late fee being applied in addition to your registration fee or cancellation of your registration.

Buying a health business

Before you buy an existing health business it is strongly suggested that you engage Council to undertake an inspection and provide you with a Transfer Inspection Report.

The Public Health and Wellbeing Act Transfer Inspection Report will detail all non-compliances.

There is a fee associated with this service and you will need the current proprietor to sign a Request for Information and Documents(PDF, 15KB) to enable Council to release the information to you or your agent.

Transferring the registration

A business can transfer its registration before the registration expires. Please note there is a fee to transfer registration.

If you have successfully purchased a business and settlement has completed, you can begin the process of transferring a health business that has already been registered within the Mansfield Shire by completing the Health Transfer Registration(PDF, 30KB) and contacting Council to discuss your next steps.