Voting Entitlements

Voting entitlements are changing for the 2024 Council election due to the State Government legislation within the Local Government Act 2020, and many ratepayers may need to apply to enrol to vote.

Don't lose your right to vote

Enrolling to vote means you get to have a say in who represents your community. It's your chance to choose candidates who understand and address your local needs, from planning and safety to libraries and environmental issues. By being on the voters' roll, you actively shape the future of Mansfield Shire and ensure your voice matters in decisions that impact the community.

Enrolling to vote as a ratepayer in Mansfield Shire

In a Victorian local council election there are two types of voters:

  1. State-enrolled: Australian citizens who are 18 or over and live in the council area (AUTOMATIC ENROLMENT)
  2. Council-enrolled: ratepayers such as property owners, occupiers or corporations (APPLICATION TO ENROL)

If you are not a State-Enrolled voter and meet the Council-Enrolled voter criteria you can apply to enrol directly to Mansfield Shire Council from Wednesday 1 May 2024 until the close of roll (4pm Friday 30 August 2024).

You have one vote in Mansfield Shire. If you are a state-enrolled voter, that is the enrolment you use to vote.

State-Enrolled Voters

State-enrolled voters are usually enrolled for State and Federal elections, are Australian citizens and enrol at the place where they live.

You must enrol and vote if you:

  • Are 18 years or older;
  • Are an Australian citizen; and
  • Have lived at your address in Mansfield Shire for longer than one month.

For more information visit the VEC website

Council-Enrolled Voters (ratepayers)

Council-enrolled voters are those who own property and who are not registered as a state-enrolled voter in that council. Examples include owners of holiday homes, businesses, or investment properties. Someone who owns the home they live in but is not an Australian citizen can also be a council-enrolled voter.

Ratepayers can apply to become council-enrolled voters in Mansfield Shire if they are:

  • a property owner, occupier or represent a corporation
  • 18 or older
  • not a State-enrolled voter within the Mansfield Shire

These are known as council-enrolled voters.

The rules for council-enrolled voters have changed ahead of the 2024 council elections. These changes are explained below.

Owner ratepayers

You can apply to enrol in Mansfield Shire if you:

  • own property and pay rates in the council area
  • are 18 or older
  • are not a state-enrolled voter living in Mansfield Shire

This includes:

  • Australian citizens who own a property in Mansfield Shire but do not live in the area (for example an investment or a holiday home)
  • non-citizens over 18 who own a property and primary place of residence is in Mansfield Shire.

Up to 2 ratepayers can apply to enrol per property, but each person only gets one vote.

Occupier ratepayers

You can apply to enrol in Mansfield Shire if you:

  • pay rates for a property that you occupy but do not own
  • are 18 or older
  • are not a state-enrolled voter.

Up to 2 people per property can apply to enrol, but each person only gets one vote.


You can apply to enrol to vote on behalf of a corporation if you:

  • are a director or company secretary of a corporation that pays rates (either as an owner or an occupier) in the council area
  • have consented to being appointed as the corporation’s representative
  • are not already a state-enrolled voter or council-enrolled voter for the same council.

Only one person can apply to enrol as the corporation’s representative.

Resigning your Council-enrolled ratepayer enrolment

If you don’t want to vote for that property anymore, you can apply to resign your enrolment.

Contact Council for an application to resign your enrolment via email to or call 5775 8555.

Expiry of enrolment

Occupier ratepayers’ and corporations’ enrolment expires before the next local government general election.

If you want to continue to vote, you must apply to enrol again before the next local council general election (2028).

Mansfield Shire Council will send you an invitation when it is time to renew your enrolment.

Owner ratepayers’ enrolment does not expire, but they can apply to resign their enrolment.

Council by-elections

By-elections after October 2024

If you apply to enrol for the local council elections in 2024, you will remain enrolled for any council by-elections up until 2028. It will be compulsory for you to vote.

More information

For information about Victorian elections, visit the VEC website.

Who can vote in the 2024 Victorian local council elections?(PDF, 41KB)

VEC Local Government Enrolment FAQ(PDF, 547KB)