Food Business Registration


Read about registration requirements for food businesses including the food classification system, food safety requirements and information for the production of natural product, labelling of product plus bed and breakfast information.

These guidelines are designed to assist you to understand and meet the requirements of Council to ensure we can approve or transfer the registration of your food premises.

In Victoria, all businesses that prepare, store and handle food for sale must comply with the Victorian Food Act 1984 (‘Food Act’) which incorporates the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Unless their predominant activity involves meat, seafood or dairy they must be registered with the local Council under the provisions of the Food Act 1984. All new food premises must be inspected by Council’s Environmental Health Officer and approved for registration before they can commence trading, storing or handling food intended for sale.

When purchasing an existing food premises, the Food Act 1984 registration must be transferred from the name of the existing proprietor to the name of the purchaser. The registered name needs to be a person, a partnership or company name - not the business name.

Note: Operating a food premises without registration is an offence under the Food Act 1984 and a person found guilty of the offence is liable to a fine of up to $14,000.

The information contained within these guidelines has been prepared as guidance material to assist local businesses to comply with the Food Act 1984 and Food Standards Code Australia New Zealand.

It is recommended that the Food Act 1984, Food Premises Specifications sheet and Food Standards Code Australia New Zealand are used in conjunction with these guidelines.

Food Act Classifications

The Food Act 1984 regulates the sale of food and beverages for human consumption. There are four classes of food premises; Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and Class 4. The Classification system means regulatory requirements are better matched to the level of food safety risk associated with the food handling activities at different types of premises.

Class 1 has the highest and Class 4 the lowest level of legal requirements. In summary, the classes are:

  • Class 1 - hospitals, child care centres and aged care services which serve food.
  • Class 2 - other premises that handle high risk unpackaged food.
  • Class 3 - premises that handle unpackaged low risk food or high risk pre-packaged food, warehouses and distributors.
  • Class 4 - premises undertaking low risk activities.

Class 4 includes the following:

  • the sale of shelf stable pre-packaged low risk food such as confectionery, crisps, frozen ice cream, UHT milk, bottled drinks - for example, newsagents, pharmacies, video stores and some milk bars;
  • the sale of packaged alcohol - for example, bottle shops;
  • the sale of uncut fruit and vegetables - for example, farmers markets, green grocers and wholesalers;
  • wine tasting (which can include serving low risk food or cheese);
  • the sale of packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes) at community events;
  • the supply of low risk food, including cut fruit, at a sessional child care service;
  • simple sausage sizzles at stalls, where the sausages are cooked and served immediately at community events. This means sausages, sauce, onions and bread. This does not include hamburgers or other high risk foods.

Class 12 and 3 premises must register with Council.

Class 4 premises must notify Council of their operations.

Refer to the Department of Health for more details and additional resources to support you when starting your own food business.

Class 1 Food Premises

Class 1 food premises are those that predominantly handle potentially hazardous food that is served to vulnerable groups, such as in hospitals, child care centres providing long day care, and aged care facilities such as nursing homes and hostels.

What regulatory requirements apply to Class 1 Food Premises?

Class 1 premises provide food to the vulnerable population in our community, who are often more vulnerable to the severe consequences of food poisoning.

Class 1 food premises must:

  • Ensure food that is sold or prepared for sale is safe to eat;
  • Register annually with Council;
  • Be inspected by Council when first registered or when registration is transferred to a new proprietor;
  • Have a Food Safety Program which is tailored specifically for the food premises (an independent or non-standard program);
  • Keep a copy of the Food Safety Program on site;
  • Have a Food Safety Supervisor with the necessary skills and industry accredited training;
  • Undergo two mandatory compliance checks each year.

These include:

  • A Council assessment of the premises and Food Safety Program compliance;
  • An audit of the Food Safety Program by a Department of Health & Human Services approved auditor to determine adequacy and compliance.

The auditor must provide an audit certificate to the Council within 14 days of giving the certificate to the business. That certificate must be either:

  • A certificate of compliance; or
  • A certificate detailing that corrective actions have been taken to address deficiencies or any outstanding matters, if an audit has revealed non-compliances at the premises.

Should the auditor identify any deficiencies that may lead to a serious risk of food being sold or prepared that is unsafe or unsuitable, they must inform Council and their respective Food Safety Unit of the department as soon as practicable.

For further information see Food Safety Programs and Food Safety Supervisors.



Class 2 Food Premises

Class 2 food premises are those whose main activity involves handling unpackaged potentially hazardous foods which require temperature control during the food handling process, including cooking and storage.

These include:

  • restaurants
  • fast food outlets
  • pubs
  • caterers
  • delicatessens
  • supermarkets with delicatessens/bakeries/butchers
  • cafes
  • most manufacturers.

What regulatory requirements apply to Class 2 food premises?

A Class 2 food premise must:

  • Ensure food that is sold or prepared for sale is safe to eat;
  • Register annually with Council;
  • Be inspected by Council prior to initial registration or transfer of registration to a new proprietor;
  • Ensure that the premises has a Food Safety Supervisor with the necessary industry related skills and accredited training;
  • Have a Food Safety Program.

The Food Safety Program must include:

  • A standard template registered with the Department of Health & Human Services; or
  • A Food Safety Program developed by the food proprietor that is tailored specifically for the food premises (an independent or non-standard program).
  • Keep the Food Safety Program on site at the premises;
  • Implement the requirements of the Food Safety Program including the keeping of records that must be available for review.
  • If using a standard food safety program - an assessment will be made by an Environmental Health Officer for compliance*
  • If using an independent non-standard Food Safety Program - an audit by a Department of Health & Human Services approved auditor.

The auditor must provide an audit certificate to Council within 14 days of giving the certificate to the business. That certificate must be either:

  • A certificate of compliance; or
  • A certificate detailing that corrective actions have been taken to address deficiencies or any outstanding matters, if an audit has revealed non-compliances at the premises.

Should the auditor identify any deficiencies that may lead to a serious risk of food being sold or prepared that is unsafe or unsuitable then the auditor must inform the council and the department’s Food Safety Unit of the department as soon as practicable

For further information, see  Food Safety Programs and  Food Safety Supervisors.

* Additional inspections are also likely to be scheduled by Council


Class 3 Food Premises

Class 3 food premises are those whose main activities involve the sale of foods not commonly associated with food poisoning. This includes the supply or handling of unpackaged low risk foods, and/or sale of pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods which need temperature control to keep them safe.

Premises that fall into Class 3 may include milk bars, convenience stores, fruit stalls selling cut fruit and wholesalers distributing pre-packaged foods.

What regulatory requirements apply to Class 3 food premises?

A Class 3 premise must:

  • Ensure that food that is sold or prepared for sale is safe to eat;
  • Register annually with Council;
  • Be inspected by Council when initially registered, or on transfer of the food premises to a new proprietor;
  • Be inspected by a Council Environmental Health Officer on an annual basis;
  • Maintain minimum records about the food handling practices on site at the food premises (templates are available through Department of Health & Human Services website).

Further information on minimum records for Class 3 premises can be found in Food Safety Programs.


Class 4 Food Premises

Class 4 food premises are those whose food handling activities pose low risk to public health.

They include premises that only undertake the following:

  • The sale of shelf stable pre-packaged confectionery at newsagents, pharmacies and video stores; bottle shops, etc
  • Sale of uncut fruit and vegetables at farmers markets or by greengrocers (whether retail or wholesale)
  • Wine tastings
  • Shops and stalls with packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes), bottled jams or honey at a community event
  • Sessional kindergartens serving low risk food including cut fruit
  • Simple sausage sizzles at stalls where the sausages are cooked and served immediately. A simple sausage sizzle includes sausages, sauce, onions and bread (this does not include hamburgers or other high risk foods).

What regulatory requirements apply to Class 4 food premises?

Class 4 food premises must:

  • Notify Council of their food operations but are not required to obtain formal registration pursuant to the Food Act 1984
  • Ensure the food they sell or prepare for sale is safe to eat

Class 4 premises are not required to have:

  • A Food Safety Program;
  • A Food Safety Supervisor;
  • An annual Council inspection.

Council may, at its discretion, inspect a Class 4 premises.

Failure to notify Council of your Class 4 food business activities is an offence under the provisions of the Food Act 1984 and you or your company may be liable for a fine of up to $14,000 if found guilty.

What if we change the type of food we sell?

If you want to change the type of food you sell at your food business you must first discuss the changes with a Council Environmental Health Officer. Council will review your food premises activities and determine whether reclassification of your food premises is required. If the classification of your food business changes you must ensure you meet the food safety regulatory requirements of that Class.



Council Departments

In the process of establishing a new food business, it may be necessary to consult with other Council departments to obtain approvals and permits. Listed below are some of the common matters that are addressed with various departments.

Building Requirements including Construction, Renovation or Alterations 

A building permit is needed when constructing a building and might be required when renovating/altering an existing building or changing its use. For further information and consultation in relation to building permits contact a private building surveyor to determine what is needed for your situation.

Topics might include:

  • The addition of toilets
  • Getting details for how many toilets, urinals and hand wash basins may be required to be installed in a premises for staff (1:10 ratio) and for your patrons (when seating is provided for more than 20 persons).
  • Fire safety requirements and;
  • Details for emergency lighting, emergency exits, number, type and location of fire extinguishers and/or fire fighting equipment.

Building Information

Local Laws

A permit from Local Laws is needed to place the following on the footpath:

  • A-frame signs
  • Tables
  • Chairs
  • Barriers
  • Windbreaks
  • Displays
  • Waste skips

Local Laws Information


Further information and consultation can be obtained in regard to:

  • Signage (apart from A-frame signs on the footpath)
  • Premises wishing to increase its seating capacity
  • Obtaining a permit for any proposed building works
  • Obtaining a permit for manufacturing/wholesale food businesses
  • Obtaining a permit for a proposed use of building/area
  • If you are wishing to sell liquor.

Planning Information

Waste & Recycling

Council provides a roadside waste and recycling service.

Waste Information

Government Agencies

The following government agencies can be contacted to provide further information in regard to topics summarised in this guide:

1. Food Safety Unit

Department of Health

1300 364 352 

2. Food Standards Australia and New Zealand

For information regarding the Food Standards Code, fact sheets and labelling information, please visit  Food Standards

3. National Training Information Service

To obtain a list of registered training organisations which provide Food Safety Supervisor training, please contact Health Victoria

4. Goulburn Valley Water

For Information regarding the installation or maintenance of a grease trap (Minor Trade Waste Agreement).

(03) 5832 4800   Goulburn Valley Water

5. Trade Measurement Institute

Enquiries and complaints can be made by calling 1300 686 664 or via email 

6. Consumer Affairs Victoria

You can reach Consumer Affairs Victoria by calling 1300 558 181 or Consumer Affairs Victoria


Food Safety Programs

  • A food safety program is a written plan that outlines what a food premises does to ensure that the food it sells is safe for human consumption. They are a mandated requirement for all Class 1 and Class 2 business and are an important tool for helping a business that handles, processes or sells potentially hazardous foods to maintain safe food handling practices and protects the health of the public.

    Council will determine your food act classification based on the food safety risk of the type of foods you handle.

    Class 1 food businesses must have a food safety program which has been developed by/for the business. Class 1 food businesses cannot use a standard food safety program template.

    Class 1 food safety plans are tailored to take into account the food handling activities at the premises. A Department of Health approved auditor must conduct an annual audit of the food safety program to determine adequacy and compliance.

    Class 2 food premises may elect to develop their own food safety programs or they elect to follow a Department of Health approved template.

    For businesses that choose to use a template developed by the Department of Health.

    The Version 3 template is registered under the Food Act 1984 and is suitable for retail and food services businesses including hotels, cafes and restaurants.

    Class 2 food premises that choose to operate with an independent (non-standard) food safety program must have the program audited annually, at their cost, by a Department of Health approved auditor.

    Class 3 food premises do not need a food safety program due to the lower food safety risk associated with the food handling activities. However, they must keep minimum records about specific food handling practices, including information about suppliers and the safe storage of potentially hazardous food.

    Copies of the minimum records, Class 3 Food Safety Guide can be obtained from Council or can be downloaded from the Department of Health website.

    Class 4 food premises do not need to have a food safety program or complete minimum records.

Food Safety Supervisors

  • All Class 1 and Class 2 food premises require a food safety supervisor with the following exceptions:

    • For a food premises that use a Quality Assurance (QA) food safety program prepared under a declared QA code, if the program includes competency based or accredited training for its staff; and
    • Food events of one to two days duration run by Class 2 community groups where the majority of the workforce are volunteers.

    A food safety supervisor is someone who:

    • Knows how to recognise, prevent and alleviate food handling hazards at your premises;
    • Has a Statement of Attainment that shows the required food safety competencies from a Registered Training Organisation (RTO); and
    • Has the ability and authority to supervise other people handling food at the premises and ensure that food handling is done safely.

    It is important to choose your food safety supervisor carefully. Your food safety supervisor can be the owner, an employee or a person external to the business, providing they are able meet the requirements of a food safety supervisor prescribed above.

    The food safety supervisor doesn't have to be on the premises at all times. However they must be able to know how food is being handled when they are not on the premises. Similarly, this applies to businesses that operate across a number of shifts, or when a person from outside the business is the food safety supervisor.

    A business may also choose to have a number of staff with food safety supervisor qualifications, however only 1 person can be the nominated food safety supervisor.

    Class 3 and Class 4 food premises do not need a food safety supervisor. They must however ensure that staff members have the skills and knowledge they need to safely handle food in their work roles.

    For further information regarding food safety supervisors, contact Food Safety Victoria on 1300 364 352, contact Council’s Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5775 8555.

    You can obtain more information about food safety supervisors at Health Victoria

Sample Floor Plan

image to be loaded within this accordion - is the floor plan within Appendix 1 - Sample Floor Plan on the existing Food Business Registration page 


Setting up new food premises

To ensure your proposed food premises complies with the Food Act 1984, prior to commencing construction or any structural works you are strongly encouraged to complete the Food Premises Specifications sheet.

Council’s Environmental Health Officers are able to provide you with specific information on the requirements of your new food premises.

This process is in place to help new proprietors ensure that they are aware of what is required under the Food Act 1984 and the Food Standards Code Australia New Zealand when fitting out their premises.

Inspection of Proposed Site

You are encouraged to request a site assessment of the proposed food premises to ensure that the property is suitable for the operation of the proposed food business. It is recommended that a site assessment is conducted prior to the purchase of the premises or signing of any rental agreement. You should also contact Council’s Planning Department to determine whether the proposed activity requires a planning permit.

To arrange an inspection please contact the Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5775 8555. You will be asked to provide an overview of your business activity and a proposed floor plan in advance of the visit.


Application for Registration

As you progress with the development of your food premises, you will be asked to complete an Application for Registration(PDF, 899KB).

The application must include the following information and documents:

1. Business proposal - The business proposal must outline all of the food activities occurring at the premises.

2. Floor Plan - Submit a scaled floor plan which includes details of the internal and external areas of the food premises and clearly indicate:

  • The type and location of all proposed fittings and fixtures.
  • Schedule of finishes including a description or specification for finishes and cladding of walls, flooring type, coving details, flooring type.
  • Description of all light fittings.
  • Description of equipment to be installed in the food premises.
  • Mechanical exhaust drawings and specifications (if applicable).

Sample Floor Plan(PDF, 90KB)

3. Food Safety Supervisor - copy of Food Safety Supervisors certificate (Class 1 & 2 only)

4. Fee - Pay the registration fee.

Email application with all required attachments to 

Upon receipt of the application an Environmental Health Officer will review the submission and advise the applicant of the outcome or of any concerns.

Businesses that intend to manufacture foods, or produce food for wholesale (including home manufacturers) must ensure the products meet the food labelling requirements.

Food must be labelled in accordance with the Food Standards Code and the National Measurement Institute (see Labelling requirements and Council's Labelling Requirements Fact Sheet(PDF, 50KB)  for more information).

Manufacturing and wholesale food businesses may also require a Planning Permit from Council.

For further information, see  Planning.


Final Inspection

Once construction is near completion and prior to commencing food storage or food handling activities, a final inspection must be arranged with Council to verify all works have been satisfactorily completed in accordance with the Food Act 1984 and associated food safety standards.

Please note that there is a minimum of 7 working days' notice is required for any requested inspection.

Registration of New or Purchased Food Business

When Council has granted your business Food Act 1984 registration, the business will be supplied with a Certificate of Registration. This can be displayed at your discretion.

The name of the registered proprietor (person[s] or company) must be displayed on the shop frontage.

Registration of your business is renewed annually and the registration period is from the 1 January to 31 December. Council sends renewals of registration in October each year.

Purchasing an Existing Food Premise

When purchasing an existing food business, such as a cafe or restaurant, you must still register it with Council.

Council registers food premises operating as businesses such as restaurants, cafes and bakeries. If you are buying an existing food business, that premises will need to be registered with us and needs to be compliant with the Food Act 1984.

Before you purchase a food business you should:

  • Check with Council’s Environmental Health Unit to determine if the business has current registration with Council; and
  • Request a pre-sale inspection of the business.
  • Ensure a Request for Information and Documents has been signed by the current proprietor before a pre-sale inspection is completed.

The Request for Information and Documents will allow Council to provide a copy of the inspection report to the purchaser.

If there is to be a change in use of the food premises - e.g. expansion of food handling area, change of business type from a café to a manufacturer etc. you are encouraged to discuss the proposed changes with Council to determine if there are further standards which have to be met such as changes to the fit out of the building.

Request a Pre-Purchase Inspection

If you are looking to buy an existing registered food business, we strongly recommend you obtain a pre-sale inspection report from Council before you buy the food business.

We offer a pre-sale inspection service. There is a fee for this service.

This service includes an inspection of the food premises by our Environmental Health Officers, and a report that details any non-compliant items with the Food Act 1984. See Guidance on Structural Standards for Food Premises for more information.

To request a 5 day pre-sale inspection, please contact 03 5775 8555 to confirm an Environmental Health Officer is available.

You also need to get written consent from the current proprietor to release the inspection report.




Potable Water Supply

A food business must use a potable water supply for activities conducted on their food premises. If your premises does not have access to a townships potable water source, you must be able to demonstrate that the water you use is safe and further treatment may be required (UV treatment/chlorination etc).

Please note that non-potable water can only be used when Council is satisfied that it will not affect food safety.


Labelling Requirements

Food must be labelled in accordance with the Food Standards Code, developed by Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ).

All food for retail sale or food sold for catering purposes must be labelled, except for the following:

  • Food not in a package;
  • Food in an inner package not designed for sale and where the outer packaging shows the required information;
  • Food made and packaged on the premises from where it is sold;
  • Food packaged in the presence of the purchaser;
  • Whole or cut fresh fruit and vegetables in packaging that does not obscure the nature or quality (does not include sprouted seeds or similar products);
  • Food delivered packaged at the express order of the purchaser; and
  • Food sold at fundraising events (subject to simplified requirements).

Where a packaged food is exempt from the general labelling requirements, some information may still need to be displayed in connection with the food or provided to the purchaser on request.

The following information MUST appear on the food label and be in English:

  • The name of the food.
  • Batch or lot identification.
  • The name and business address.
  • Mandatory warning and advisory information.
  • Ingredient labelling.
  • Date mark.
  • Health and safety advice for consumers.
  • Nutrition information panel.
  • Characterising ingredient declaration (percentage labelling).
  • The country of origin.

See Mansfield Shire Council's Labelling Requirements Fact Sheet(PDF, 50KB) for more information, or visit Food Standards Victoria.

For contact details see Government Agencies.


Temporary and Mobile Food Operators

This section should be read in conjunction with Mansfield Shire Council Temporary Food Premises Guideline(PDF, 1MB) and Food Premise Specifications(PDF, 61KB)

Mobile food vans

The Victorian Food Act 1984 and the Food Standards Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code provide for the registration of mobile food vans.

You must register the van with the Council in which the vehicle is garaged.

Similar to fixed premises the types of food provided will determine whether the foods sold fall within a Class 2, 3 or 4 type business, and therefore the requirements of relevant food safety programs, minimal records and training requirements.

The structural standards required for the fit out of a kitchen in a mobile food vehicle are dependent upon the nature of the food business, taking into account the potential risk factors and can consider the frequency of usage.

The proprietor of the food vehicle must prominently affix their name (and contact details) onto the vehicle and ensure that this is maintained in a fit and legible condition.

The fit out requirements are similar to the standards applicable to fixed food premises and apply to mobile food premises from which food is prepared and offered for sale:

  • All fittings, equipment, floors, walls and ceiling must be constructed of smooth and impervious material capable of being easily cleaned.
  • A minimum of one sink supplied with hot and cold water for the cleaning of utensils and equipment used in the preparation of food.
  • A dedicated hand wash basin supplied with hot and cold running (potable) water, liquid soap and paper towel.
  • A suitably sized waste water holding tank is to be provided for the waste water from the sink(s) and hand basin.
  • Adequate mechanical ventilation must be provided above the cooking appliances.
  • Adequate refrigeration facilities to ensure any cold foods are stored at or below 5ºC.


If you sell food from a portable stall, a van, a community hall or other similar site that you only use occasionally, or from a vending machine then you must also be registered on Streatrader and submit Statements Of Trade (SOT) to notify the local Council that you are trading.

Private water carters that transport water for human consumption must be registered with their local Council and submit an SOT via the online Streatrader platform.

Once your application for registration has been accepted by your principal Council, you may trade anywhere in Victoria.

It is a requirement that you submit an SOT prior to attending a site beyond the municipal boundary of your registering Council.

Please note that failure to notify Council may result in a fine.



Smoke Free Outdoor Dining

From 1 August 2017, changes to the Tobacco Act 1987 mean that smoking is banned in outdoor dining areas in Victoria. This includes:

  • At hospitality venues - their outside dining areas including footpath / table and chair areas
  • At food fairs
  • Within 10 metres of food stalls and foods vendors at organised events (other than a food fair)

The introduction of smoke-free outdoor dining now means there are two types of outdoor areas for dining and drinking activities. An outdoor area is either:

  • An outdoor dining area
  • An outdoor drinking area (only defined ‘snack food’ is able to be consumed in an outdoor drinking area).

For further information, contact Council or visit Health Victoria for more information.


Honey Production and Sales

The Food Act 1984 requires individuals and/or businesses involved in honey production and sales to be registered with Council. 

Your premises will need to meet various structural/fit out requirements prior to registration.

Contamination of honey

Contamination of honey can occur from two sources - chemical and biological hazards.

Chemical contamination of honey can be caused from poorly used disease and pest control chemicals, poorly applied chemical bee repellents and storage of honey in unclean or unsuitable containers.

Biological or bacterial contamination can occur due to poor personal hygiene and sanitation procedures during handling and processing.

General contamination can occur during the different stages of the honey production process. To prevent this from occurring, the following procedures should be followed.

Steps to minimise contamination


The equipment and containers must be clean and dry prior to use

Filtration / settling

Fine mesh strainers are to be used when filtering the honey


  • Only use food grade containers, equipment and utensils (that is non-toxic and capable of being cleaned)
  • Do not use zinc/galvanized drums for long term use
  • Keep storage containers in a clean area
  • Containers to be washed and dried prior to filling
  • Thought must be given to the acidic nature of honey when choosing containers, equipment and utensils for use in honey production
  • Do not store above 45°C

Building design 

The building used for honey production should be of solid construction and maintained in good repair.

All surfaces, fixtures and fittings should be constructed of a smooth and impervious material which enables adequate cleaning.

The building should prevent the entrance and harbouring of animals, pests, vermin and birds.

A pest control program must be maintained on the premises.

Living areas, toilets and areas where animals reside should be kept separate and not open directly to the honey handling area.

Adequate lighting should be provided.

Potable water supply should be available.

Hand washing facilities must have an adequate supply of hot and cold water through a single outlet.

For large-scale production, hand washing facilities separate from the wash up sink should be provided.

Liquid soap and paper towel should be provided at the hand washing facilities.

Personal hygiene

Do not work if suffering from a communicable disease.

Provide hot and cold water at all sinks; provide liquid soap and paper towel at each hand wash sink.

Open wounds should be covered with a brightly covered bandage and a clean disposable glove.

Hands must be washed regularly:

  • after going to the toilet
  • after eating/smoking
  • after being outside
  • before commencing handling of honey

Wear clean protective clothing when handling honey.

Jewellery should not be worn.

Smoking is not permitted in the same area as honey production.

Registration requirements with Agriculture Victoria

Additional to the registration requirements under the food Act any person keeping one or more hives of bees is required by the Livestock Disease Control Act (1994) to register as a beekeeper with Department Jobs, Precincts and Regions.

Please visit Agriculture Victoria for more information.




Bed and Breakfasts

Bed and breakfast premises that supply food to guests are required to be registered with the Council's Health Department under the Food Act 1984.

Class 2 bed and breakfast premises must have a food safety program and a suitably qualified Food Safety Supervisor.

Class 3 bed and breakfast premises are required to keep minimum records.

Class 4 bed and breakfast premises are required to submit a notification form.

For information about food classes please see our section on food business classification.

If accommodation is provided for five or more people bed and breakfast premises are also required to be registered under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

It is advised that you contact the Council’s Environmental Health Officer if you intend to establish a Bed and Breakfast business to ensure that you comply with all legislative requirements including those of Council's building and planning departments.