Working within a Road Reserve

Works within Road Reserve Permit

A Works within Road Reserve Permit is required for any activities that will occupy or impact council managed land. This includes roads, road reserves, footpaths and open spaces. Activities include driveway construction, stormwater connection, vehicle crossings, drainage works etc.

The property owner is responsible for the construction and maintenance of any of the above works in accordance with Council’s design requirements and/or standard drawings.

If you engage a contractor to do the works, you may ask them to undertake the permit process on your behalf, however it is highly recommended you ask to see their public liability insurance policy. The application form requires public liability insurance details of the contractor.

Dial Before You Dig

It is the responsibility of the property owners (or their contractors) to ensure that any proposed work will not conflict with existing utility services. It is suggested that you or your contractor contact Dial Before You Dig by calling 1100 or visiting to obtain FREE information on the location of in-ground services such as telecommunications, power, water, drainage and gas reticulation.

Visit Dial Before You Dig

How do I obtain a permit?

1. Obtain a Works Within A Road Reserve Permit Application form here or from the Council Offices.

Works Within A Road Reserve Permit Application

2. Complete the application form and include any other supplementary information as required to support the permit. Please ensure you read the Notes on page 1 and understand the “Standard Conditions of Consent” on page 5 of the application form.

3. Forward a copy of the completed and signed application form to Council along with required fee and refundable security deposit as noted on page 3 of the application. If you are unsure of the required fees, please contact Council’s Engineering Department.

4. Payments of the applicable fees and security deposit where necessary, are to be made over the counter at the Shire office, by phone or mail. A receipt will be issued.

Applications may be sent to:
Mansfield Shire Council
Private Bag 1000
Mansfield Vic 3722

By Email:

In Person: 33 Highett Street, Mansfield

5. Once the application has been received and fees paid, Council’s Engineering Department will then review the application. A site inspection may be required and this process can take up to five (5) business days.

6. Notification of Successful Application, including a permit number will be made to the applicant following a review of the application.

7. Works can commence once the applicant has received an approved permit.

8. Upon completion of the works, the applicant must notify Council to arrange a post-completion inspection.  

9. Refund of the security deposit will be made only when the works and any remedial works deemed necessary have been completed to the satisfaction of Council’s Engineering Department.

What fees do I have to pay?

There is a fee payable for a Works Within A Road Reserve permit based on the work type and the road classification. The fees are expressed in a table shown on page 2 of the application form with typical examples also shown. Fees are based on a standard fee unit set by the Road Management (Works Infrastructure) Regulations 2015, which is updated each year.

A refundable security deposit is also payable, with the amount determined by the type of work being undertaken and potential for damage to Council infrastructure.

The security deposit will be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the works, following an inspection by Council’s Engineering Department.

Guidelines for working within a Road Reserve

For more information about Working Within a Road Reserve, please see the VicRoads publication:

Guide to working in the Road Reserve

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How long does it take to obtain a Works Within Road Reserve Permit?

    We allow for 5 days to process if all paperwork is in order

  • How long does it take to have my deposit refunded?

    The security deposit will be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the works, following an inspection by Council’s Engineering Department.

Print More Options
Last Updated: Monday, 2 August, 2021 - 12:41