Organisations and individuals interested in promoting physical activity through their chosen clubs and groups can use the Active Mansfield Network to connect with the Mansfield Shire community.
About the Active Mansfield Network
The Active Mansfield Network – ‘’Partnerships in Activity’’ is an advocacy tool to create sustainable opportunities for physically active lifestyles for all. Organisations and individuals interested in promoting physical activity through their chosen clubs and groups can use this charter to influence and connect with a range of individuals from the Mansfield Shire community to achieve a shared goal.
Background of Active Mansfield
The Active Mansfield Project was jointly funded for an initial 12 months by the Central Hume Primary Care Partnership, Mansfield Shire Council and a private contribution. A benchmarking survey at the beginning of the project showed:
- Approximately 50% of respondents indicate they undertake physical activity for 30 mins or more 6 days per week.
- 15% of respondents are obese, around 40% are overweight and 40% are normal according to the Body Mass Index Categories.
- Walking is the most popular activity and the most frequently undertaken.
- Over 75% of respondents indicate that health is the key reason for undertaking physical activity.
The final survey, conducted a year later showed the following results:
- 34.5% exercise 6 or more days per week
- 21.7% activity levels had increased
- 62.4% has stayed the same in the last 12 months
- The most popular activity is walking
- 49% of respondents had heard about the active Mansfield project. Only 6.7% were involved in Active Mansfield activities.
Principles of the Network
- Team Work
The Networks goals and objectives
The ‘Active Mansfield Network’ aims to support all of the community to increase participation in a variety of physical exercises; encourage and support (via work colleagues and the community); and identify ways to continue participation in the long term.
There are many ways you can regularly undertake daily physical activity, whether you like group or individual activities, indoor or outdoor activities there is something for everyone!
If you are interested in being part of the Network please contact Dan Purcell on (03) 5775 8529.
Check out the activities listed in the Active Mansfield Newsletter to find out about the groups and clubs you can join, or the walks and other activities you can do as an individual or with family and friends.