Travel Exemption for Fire Preparation

From Wednesday 6 October 2021, residents of Melbourne metro (or other areas in regional Victoria that are in lockdown) that own property in Mansfield Shire are able to apply for permission to travel to their property to undertake fire and emergency preparedness activities, as a last resort.

Property owners are encouraged in the first instance to use local contractors or businesses to prepare their second properties for the fire season.

You can only travel to your regional property from Monday 11 October 2021 if you have been granted permission from Council. To apply for permission to travel to your property to undertake permitted fire and emergency preparedness works you must complete the application form (link below).

Council will be processing the applications during normal business hours and aims to issue the letters as soon as possible. Email is the preferred method of delivery to speed up processes.


  • The person who owns the property must apply for permission to travel and identify any other household members who will be travelling with them.
  • The dates of travel and the duration of stay by the owner must be nominated.
  • Owners have a maximum of 72 hours from the nominated start time on their letter.  The 72 hours includes travel time to and from their primary place of residence.
  • Vacant land owners will only be eligible for a single day permit.
  • Additional travel exemptions can be applied for upon completion of your current permit, however they will not be granted consecutively.
  • The works to be undertaken must be itemised and may include reducing fuel loads on the property (e.g. cutting grass, slashing, clearing gutters, removing vegetation and flammable items from around dwellings and out-buildings)
  • You must produce your Council travel exemption letter and a Council rates notice if requested by Police at checkpoints or during random checks.
  • When travelling, you must comply with the current lockdown restrictions from your primary residence.
  • Please come with all the tools and supplies you need to complete your fire preparedness work.
  • Mansfield Shire Council cannot provide a travel exemption for properties on Mt Buller.  Please contact Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management Board for further information.
  • Travel exemptions cannot be issued for individual caravan park sites.
  • If you feel unwell or have any symptoms of Covid-19, please stay home and get tested immediately.

Application for Travel Exemption for Fire Preparation

For more information, contact Mansfield Shire Council on 5775 8555.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the following websites:

Print More Options
Last Updated: Wednesday, 6 October, 2021 - 09:32