COVID-19: Read how Council is responding to COVID-19. For relief and assistance call 1800 MSC AID (1800 672 243).

Property preparation letter of support

Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 12:30

UPDATE 9 November 2020

Third Step restrictions apply across Victoria. The same restrictions apply in regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne.  

  • You can travel between regional Victoria and metropolitan Melbourne. There are no limits on how far you can travel or the reasons you can travel. You do not need a permit to travel. The 25km limit on how far you can travel no longer applies.  
  • You can go on holiday in Victoria and book accommodation. You can go camping. You can book accommodation to share with the people you live with, your intimate partner, and up to two other people and their dependents. 
  • Face masks must be worn when you leave home.  
  • You can have up to two people visit you at home each day. Infants under 12 months are not included in this cap, and other dependents can also attend if they cannot be left unattended or cared for in another setting. The two people may be from different households and may visit separately. Your intimate partner is not included in the cap. 


From Wednesday 21 October 2020 metro residents who also own property in Mansfield Shire, as a last resort, may apply to Council for a letter of support to travel to the area to conduct works to reduce fire or flood risks to their property.

Property owners are encouraged to use local contractors or businesses to prepare their second properties.

If you are unable to do so you can only travel if you have been granted permission via a letter of support from Council.

To apply for permission to travel to your property to undertake specific fire or flood prevention works you must complete the application form.

Council will be processing the letters during normal business hours and aims to issue the letters as soon as possible. Email is the preferred method of delivery to speed up processes.


  • The person who owns the property must apply for permission to travel and identify any other household members who will be travelling with them.
  • The dates of travel and the duration of stay by the owner must be identified.
  • Owners have a maximum of 72 hours from the time you leave your primary residence  Staying overnight within the 72 hours is also permitted. If you are unable to stay on the property, you will need to return to your primary place of residence.
  • The works to be undertaken must be itemised and may include:
  • reducing bushfire fuel loads on the property (e.g. cutting grass, slashing, clearing gutters, removing vegetation and items from around dwellings and out-buildings)
  • reducing the impact of flooding (e.g. clearing gutters, sand bagging, blocking toilets and drains, moving furniture).
  • If you are unable to complete the  works within the identified timeframe, you must reapply for another letter of support.
  • You must produce the letter if requested by Police at checkpoints, during random checks or when attending regional businesses.
  • All metro restrictions travel with you. You must bring all supplies with you.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the following websites:

For more information, contact Mansfield Shire Council on 5775 8555

Application for a letter of support 



Print More Options
Last Updated: Monday, 9 November, 2020 - 09:34