The Local Government Act 1989 acknowledges the need for Special Committees and Advisory Committees, made up of Councillors, Council staff and other persons.
The Act allows Council, by Instrument of Delegation, to delegate any of its functions, duties or powers to a Special Committee (S86).
Mansfield Shire Council does not have any Special Committees, but has four Advisory Committees that have been appointed with specified membership criteria and with Charters. There is no Instrument of Delegation for these Advisory Committees.
The following Advisory Committees have been established for a specific purpose and for an indefinite period:
Audit and Risk Advisory Committee
The key objective of the Committee is to provide advice, as part of Council’s governance obligations to its community, to the Chief Executive Officer and the Council on ensuring:
- Effective recognition, identification and management of risk;
- Improved credibility and objectivity of internal and external financial reports;
- Compliance with relevant laws and regulations, and use of best practice guides
- The effectiveness of an annual audit program.
Environment Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee does not have the power to direct Council resources or Officers but may make recommendations to Council to assist in its decision making process.
In order to fulfil the Committee’s objectives, members are expected to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of issues relevant to the municipality and surrounding region:
- Understand the role of local government in the Environment sector;
- Be conversant with relevant Council plans and policies, including the Council Plan; and
- Prepare for and actively participate in regular committee meetings.
Sport and Recreation Advisory Committee
The objective of the Committee is to:
- Support the implementation, monitoring and review of the Mansfield Shire Sport and Recreation Strategy 2014-2019.
- Provide strategic advice to Council on sport and recreation matters that impact on the communities throughout Mansfield Shire.
- Provide advice on the planning and management of sporting and recreation facilities across the Shire including the Mansfield Recreation Reserve and Lords Reserve.
- Encourage and facilitate communication and initiatives between sport and recreation groups, clubs, individuals and stakeholders and Council.
- Provide all sectors of the community within Mansfield Shire with the opportunity to provide input into the directions and issues considered by the Committee.
There are a number of organisations external to Council's structure which include Council representation or Council nomination of community representation.
More information on these Committees, together with the responsible Councillor, can be found here: