Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a current health issue and Council is currently monitoring the situation. Find out more.


  • My pets are part of my family. Where can I find information to help me plan and prepare for my pets and livestock?

    Your animals are your responsibility. Failing to plan ahead for your animals’ safety during an emergency puts everyone's lives at risk.

    The following information will help you prepare to ensure the welfare of your animals during emergency events, such as bushfires or floods.

  • Please explain how the Rate Variation works?

  • What am I entitled to do with a prescribed document?

    Section 22 of the Local Government Act 1989 entitles a person to inspect a prescribed document and to make a copy of a prescribed document.

    A Council may fix reasonable fees for the inspection and copying of a prescribed document.

  • What am I responsible for on my Nature Strip or Road Reserve?

    The resident or occupier in an urban setting will maintain the nature strip adjoining their property. Normally this is by regular mowing, weeding and picking up litter. Council only carries out maintenance of nature strips at town entrances and high profile areas.

    Rural areas are not maintained by Council and adjoining properties should be aware that there is no obligation to manage this area for fire break purposes and also that vegetation management regulations apply.

    If the nature strip becomes damaged following service authority works, such as water, gas, electricity, telecommunications works or as a result of building works, the service authority or builder is responsible for nature strip repairs and reinstatement. Council is responsible for street trees planted on nature strips in urban areas.

  • What are the responsibilities of Council, Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority and property owners?

    Generally speaking, Council manages the underground stormwater network, open swale/roadside drains and culverts and some minor drainage channels running through reserves.

    Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority manage natural waterways and watercourses (i.e. Fords Creek and tributaries).

    Goulburn Murray Water manage water storages such as Lake Eildon (including the foreshore).

    Easements are tracts of land set aside for the use of the nominated authority and only the infrastructure is managed if it is in place.

  • What are zones and overlays?

    All properties are covered by a planning zone which states how the land can be developed or built on and what is prohibited. The property may also be covered by an overlay which may set further restrictions on the land in terms of design, vegetation, heritage, flood levels, water catchment etc. If the property is covered by a bushfire overlay for example, there may be significant restrictions and conditions regarding building on the site.

    Planning Maps Online will give you zones and overlays.

  • What can be done about dust on my road?

    Council is aware that unsealed roads create dust and it is expected that anyone living on an unsealed road made consideration of this when purchasing property in the area.

    If you wish to make a complaint regarding dust on an unsealed road, we request that you email us at

  • What can I do about flooding on my property?

    Property owners are the responsible party for managing surface water on their property, as defined in the Water Act 1989. The best action a property owner can take regarding stormwater on their property is to ensure they are responsibly discharging to their Legal Point of Discharge.

    Council infrastructure is designed to manage 1 in 10 year storm levels. When storms beyond this scope occur, flooding can be expected in the low lying areas of the municipality.

  • What can I do about planting or removing trees on my Nature Strip?

    To request a new tree or to have a tree assessed for removal please email us.

    In urban areas, Council is responsible for planting and establishing nature strip trees, and also to prune as required. Householders are encouraged to water their nature strip tree and keep the base free from weeds etc. An informative brochure is provided with each new street tree.

    Download Street Tree Brochure 1.6MB PDF

  • What do I need to know about drainage and driveways?

    • When a new driveway crossover is to be constructed (or upgraded), the owner must obtain a Works within Road Reserve Permit so that the Council can give advice regarding the construction standards and whether a pipe (with headwalls) is required alongside the roadway to convey roadside drainage under the crossover. Once completed to Council's satisfaction, all driveway crossings are to be maintained by the home owner. This includes the clearing of any debris collecting in the pipe under the crossing. Council may assist with cleaning where the owner/occupier needs assistance.
    • Roadside drainage in rural areas is designed to keep the road surface free of water so that it does not deteriorate. The roadside drainage, as far as possible, avoids interrupting the normal overland flow patterns to minimise impact on the local environment.
    • Council’s responsibility is limited to ensuring that the road and associated drainage design do not concentrate greater flows onto a property than would be expected were the road not there.
    • Council is responsible for drains located within a Council Road Reserve only. This includes channels and table drains at the side of the road pavement and culverts crossing beneath the road pavement.
    • Council is not responsible for vehicle crossover culverts that allow vehicle access to private land. The landholder is responsible for providing, maintaining and replacing these culverts as required.
Print More Options