• How do I ask for my road to be graded?

    Council undertake an annual grading program across the Local Road Network, aiming to grade each unsealed road at least once per year, where possible. This is undertaken in a systematic approach, taking into account efficiencies of scale, localities and volume of traffic.

    If you wish to make a complaint regarding the ride quality of an unsealed road or a road maintenance issue, we request that you email us at council@mansfield.vic.gov.au.

    Unsealed Roads operate to a 'Drive to Conditions' philosophy, as per all unsealed roads in the State of Victoria. Council advise drivers to take care when using these roads.

  • How do I ask for my road to be sealed?

    Sealing of a road constitutes a major upgrade in Council Service Delivery and is generally outside of the scope of Council funding. If you wish for your road to be upgraded, please forward your submission to Council for consideration in the Budget process. Include the following:

    • Name of road
    • Start and end point of area proposed for sealing
    • Any other issues or supporting information you wish to be taken into consideration.
  • How do I report a damaged or missing sign?

    To report any information regarding missing or damaged signs, please contact Council on 03 5775 8555 or email council@mansfield.vic.gov.au. Please provide details of the sign location including the road name, closest intersection, closest property number or estimated distance from the nearest intersection. This will help Council to identify the sign and rectify it in a timely manner.

  • How do I report a faulty street light?

    Street lights within the Mansfield Shire are maintained by AusNet Services and they attend to any faults including streetlight outages and damage on Council's behalf. To report a faulty streetlight:

    AusNet Services: Report Streetlight Faults

    You will need to provide the following details to lodge a request:

    • What type of fault it is: light out, light dim, light flickering, light on 24/7, damaged light
    • Pole Number, found on a yellow label with black print displaying a number on the pole
    • Street name and number where streetlight is located
  • How do I report a problem with a road or footpath?

    Council undertakes maintenance of all constructed roads in the municipality with the exception of arterial roads which are the responsibility of Vic Roads.

    Road maintenance activities include: 

    • minor road repairs including pothole patches, edge repairs, drain clearing
    • unsealed road grading and repairs
    • footpath safety repairs

    All works are considered and prioritised under the Road Management Plan 240KB PDF which is the management system that Council implements to inspect, maintain and repair public roads for which it is the responsible road authority.

    Major works are scheduled into the 10 year capital works program.

    Report a road issue

    Alternatively, you can contact Council on 03 5775 8555 or email council@mansfield.vic.gov.au to report an issue. Please forward a photo as this will assist assessment and prioritisation.

  • How do I report speeding or Hooning vehicles?

    Hoon driving is used to describe a list of offences that involve reckless driving behaviour that puts the public at risk. Penalties for hoon driving offences include the vehicle being impounded, immobilised or forfeited.

    Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline 1800 333 000

    You are encouraged to report of hoon driving to Victoria Police, if you have knowledge of hoon driving activity and/or are able to provide a description of vehicles involved (make, model, colour, registration number etc.). Police can focus on specific locations in relation to Hoon driving.

    To report hoon driving activity call the Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or report it online:


  • How do I request a new sign?

    Council receives many requests for installation of signage including wildlife signs, dust signs, speed signs, parking signs, stop/give way signs and tourist attractions or places of interest signs. These requests are considered on a quarterly basis through a Traffic Liaison meeting. Factors for consideration are location, number of requests, incidents in the area and the effectiveness of the sign. To request a tourist attraction sign, please refer to the Vic Roads website as they are the appropriate authority.

    VicRoads: Road Signs

    Other signage requests should be made in writing to Council either via council@mansfield.vic.gov.au or via post to Private Bag 1000, Mansfield VIC 3724.

    Typical signs

    Regulatory Signs

    Regulatory signs are legally enforceable and dictate what can and cannot be done on the road. Signs are generally black and white with some red. Examples of regulatory signs are; - speed limit signs, stop and give way signs, pedestrian crossings signs, keep left signs, no entry signs, one way signs and temporary signs (e.g.: stop go bats, roadwork signs).

    Warning Signs

    Warning signs or advisory signs provide indicate there is a hazard or danger ahead and that you may need to slow down or prepare to stop. Signs are generally yellow with black symbols/writing. Examples of these signs include advisory speed signs, curves and bends, railway crossings and changes to conditions.

    Guide Signs

    Guide signs provide information to drivers and pedestrians including road name signs, distance to next town, etc.

    Tourist and Service Signs

    Tourist and service signs provide information about points of interest and services provided in the local area. These signs are generally blue & white or brown & white.

  • How long does it take to have my deposit refunded?

    The security deposit will be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the works, following an inspection by Council’s Engineering Department.

  • How long does it take to obtain a Works Within Road Reserve Permit?

    We allow for 5 days to process if all paperwork is in order

  • What am I responsible for on my Nature Strip or Road Reserve?

    The resident or occupier in an urban setting will maintain the nature strip adjoining their property. Normally this is by regular mowing, weeding and picking up litter. Council only carries out maintenance of nature strips at town entrances and high profile areas.

    Rural areas are not maintained by Council and adjoining properties should be aware that there is no obligation to manage this area for fire break purposes and also that vegetation management regulations apply.

    If the nature strip becomes damaged following service authority works, such as water, gas, electricity, telecommunications works or as a result of building works, the service authority or builder is responsible for nature strip repairs and reinstatement. Council is responsible for street trees planted on nature strips in urban areas.

Print More Options