• Can I pay my rates in full on the 15th February?

    Mansfield Shire Council elected Four (4) Instalments option for Rates & Charges Notices. 

    However, payments are accepted, weekly, fortnightly, monthly or on the due date.  Annual payments must be made prior to the due date to avoid interest charges.

    The due dates are

    • 30 September
    • 30 November
    • 28 February
    • 31 May


    For more information, see

    Local Government Act 1989

    No. 11 of 1989

    Part 8—Rates and Charges on Rateable Land

    Division 2—Payment of rates and charges

    167 Payment of rates and charges

    (1) A Council must allow a person to pay a rate or charge (other than a special rate or charge) in 4 instalments.

    (2) An instalment is due and payable on the date fixed by the Minister by notice published in the Government Gazette.

  • I have moved, how do I update my details?

  • Please explain how the Rate Variation works?

  • What is the community waste charge on my rates and do I have to pay it?

    The Community Waste Charge is an annual charge that is applied to all rateable properties including vacant land without a kerbside waste and recycling collection service. The Charge ensures that all ratepayers within the Shire are effectively contributing to all community waste initiatives within the municipality.

    The charge is declared for the recovery of costs of the following:

    • Maintenance cleaning of all street and public bins

    • Maintenance of Council’s Resource Recovery Centre

     • Waste Education Initiatives across the municipality

     • Litter control

    • Visitor waste management program

     • Maintenance and servicing of all public place waste/ recycle infrastructure

    The Community Waste Charge is a non optional charge.

  • What Services do I get for paying my rates?

    Rates Chart - what services do I get for paying my rates.png

  • Why are my rates so expensive compared with Melbourne?

    Mansfield Shire Municipality has a large land area (3,843 square kilometres) with an extensive local road network and unlike larger metropolitan municipalities, our shire has fewer Ratepayers to share the service costs of council.

    Council bases its rate calculation on the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of each individual property.   Each property is assessed by the contracted Valuer to determine the CIV. If you think the CIV is too high or too low, you may object to the valuation.

    Object to the valuation of your property 265.89KB PDF

  • Why is my property valuation so high?

    To determine property values throughout the municipality, a qualified valuer is engaged annually by the Valuer General Victoria.

    The  contracted valuer assesses the market value of each property as at 1 January. Property sales, rental data, land type, buildings and their condition as well as other property improvements are analysed as part of the valuation process.

    All properties have presently been valued as at 1 January 2016.
    Property owners have a right under the Valuation of Land Act 1960 to object to the valuation of their property. An Objection form is available and must be lodged within two months of the issue of the annual rate notice.

    Object to the valuation of your property 256.89 KB PDF

Print More Options