• How do I lodge my application?

    Applications can be lodged via mail, in person over the counter or email.

    The preferred method is electronically by emailing council@mansfield.vic.gov.au

  • How long does the planning process take?

    A decision can be made on the planning permit application after all of the other processes, including notifying referral authorities and adjoining properties, is complete. All decisions are subject to appeal rights and these vary depending on the decision that has been made. All appeals are made through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

    A decision should be made within 60 statutory days if all required information is received when the application is lodged.

  • Is there a difference between building and planning permits?

    Planning and building permits are different and each one is governed by different laws and regulations. A planning permit approves the use and development of the land and a building permit ensures that the building work is safe, structurally sound and complies with building regulations. A planning permit must be issued before you can apply for your building permit.

  • What are zones and overlays?

    All properties are covered by a planning zone which states how the land can be developed or built on and what is prohibited. The property may also be covered by an overlay which may set further restrictions on the land in terms of design, vegetation, heritage, flood levels, water catchment etc. If the property is covered by a bushfire overlay for example, there may be significant restrictions and conditions regarding building on the site.

    Planning Maps Online will give you zones and overlays.

  • What is the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO)?

    The Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) applies to land that may be significantly affected by a bushfire.

    The BMO triggers the need for a planning permit for certain uses, developments and subdivision, and requires appropriate bushfire protection measures.

    You can check if you property is affected by the BMO using Planning Maps Online.

  • Where do I send Applications and enquiries?

    You can send any Applications and enquiries to Council@mansfield.vic.gov.au

Print More Options