What am I responsible for on my Nature Strip or Road Reserve?

The resident or occupier in an urban setting will maintain the nature strip adjoining their property. Normally this is by regular mowing, weeding and picking up litter. Council only carries out maintenance of nature strips at town entrances and high profile areas.

Rural areas are not maintained by Council and adjoining properties should be aware that there is no obligation to manage this area for fire break purposes and also that vegetation management regulations apply.

If the nature strip becomes damaged following service authority works, such as water, gas, electricity, telecommunications works or as a result of building works, the service authority or builder is responsible for nature strip repairs and reinstatement. Council is responsible for street trees planted on nature strips in urban areas.

Print More Options
Last Updated: Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 20:01