Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a current health issue and Council is currently monitoring the situation. Find out more.

How do I request a new sign?

Council receives many requests for installation of signage including wildlife signs, dust signs, speed signs, parking signs, stop/give way signs and tourist attractions or places of interest signs. These requests are considered on a quarterly basis through a Traffic Liaison meeting. Factors for consideration are location, number of requests, incidents in the area and the effectiveness of the sign. To request a tourist attraction sign, please refer to the Vic Roads website as they are the appropriate authority.

VicRoads: Road Signs

Other signage requests should be made in writing to Council either via or via post to Private Bag 1000, Mansfield VIC 3724.

Typical signs

Regulatory Signs

Regulatory signs are legally enforceable and dictate what can and cannot be done on the road. Signs are generally black and white with some red. Examples of regulatory signs are; - speed limit signs, stop and give way signs, pedestrian crossings signs, keep left signs, no entry signs, one way signs and temporary signs (e.g.: stop go bats, roadwork signs).

Warning Signs

Warning signs or advisory signs provide indicate there is a hazard or danger ahead and that you may need to slow down or prepare to stop. Signs are generally yellow with black symbols/writing. Examples of these signs include advisory speed signs, curves and bends, railway crossings and changes to conditions.

Guide Signs

Guide signs provide information to drivers and pedestrians including road name signs, distance to next town, etc.

Tourist and Service Signs

Tourist and service signs provide information about points of interest and services provided in the local area. These signs are generally blue & white or brown & white.

Print More Options
Last Updated: Wednesday, 30 May, 2018 - 13:23