Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a current health issue and Council is currently monitoring the situation. Find out more.

Can I build a fire bunker?

Council is keen to reinforce the warning against creating your own fire bunker or buying non-accredited private bushfire shelters, or using ‘storage shelters’ for personal use in the event of a bushfire.

The Victorian Bushfire Royal Commission found people died in bushfire bunkers and this led to Victoria adopting newly created national regulations for personal fire shelters.

Information about private bushfire shelters is available on the Victorian Building Authority website at

More information is also available on the CFA web site or call the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 815 127.

Print More Options
Last Updated: Thursday, 31 May, 2018 - 16:36