Trade waste, septic and onsite wastewater management

Trade waste agreements

Food premises may be required to install a grease trap and have it pumped out on a regular basis. It is recommended that you contact Goulburn Valley Water (if located within a sewered district) or Councils Environmental Health Unit (if located within an unsewered district). Details of your food handling practices will also be required (type and volume of food handled, cooking styles etc.).

If your premises needs a grease trap, it should be installed outside the food premises or (in exceptional circumstances) it may be located inside the food premises, away from any food preparation and storage areas, in a purpose built ventilated room.

Please contact Goulburn Valley Water on (03) 5823 4800 or Council's Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5775 8555 to confirm the requirements for your grease trap.

You should provide Council with proof that you have entered into a minor Trade Waste Agreement with Goulburn Valley Water,  or that your business has been granted an exemption prior to the registration of your food business.

Septics and on-site wastewater management

The wastewater disposal system for your premises must be suitable for the intended use of the business. Consideration must be given to the capacity of the septic tank/treatment system if it is an onsite wastewater system.

A grease trap may be required to be installed for certain food preparation activities.

If any plumbing works are to be undertaken (new or alteration), you will be required to apply for a Permit to Install/Alter Septic system with Council.

Print More Options
Last Updated: Thursday, 6 May, 2021 - 11:15