A-   A+  
Caravan Parks
Public Caravan Parks must be registered in accordance with the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2010.

If the Caravan Park also sells Food (e.g. Grocery Items, Milk, Confectionery) then they must also register under the Food Act 1984.

Registration Fees
Caravan Parks require renewal of registration on a 3 yearly basis commencing October 2010 and the legislation nominates the fee payment based on the number of sites (long term and short term) with no fee payable for unserviced campsites. Registration needs to be lodged by 1st October and licences are valid for 3 years.

Transfer of Registration applies to Caravan Parks if Management changes occur.

Fees determined by Council at its September 2010 meeting are based on the number of sites within the caravan park:
  • 34 fee units for 25 to 50 sites
  • 68 fee units for 51 to 100 sites
  • 100 fee units for 101 to 150 sites
  • 120 fee units for 151 to 200 sites

NB: A fee unit is determined by the Monetary Units Act 2004 - currently $14.22 and Council will accept pro-rata payment for the 3 yearly registration fee in equal yearly instalments.
The legislation also requires the development of detailed emergency management plans to Council satisfaction - prepared in consultation with the emergency service agencies.

In relation to site development, Unregisterable Movable Dwelllings (UMDs) and annexes require Council consent prior to erection. Planning Permits may also be required for the “development or works”. Other structural developments at an individual site e.g. fly over caravan or annexe, decking, storage shed etc. also need to be referred to Council for verification in regard to structural design and separation distances. A full copy of the requirements to be met is contained in the above Regulations and Schedule 3 of the Regulations.

To assist Operators of Caravan Parks and Occupiers of sites proposing to undertake development, Council has created two information sheets:

If you wish to develop your site:

  • Approach the Park Owner
  • Obtain their consent and fill in the Notice to Council form
  • Lodge the Notice to Council with full details - see above information sheets
  • Once endorsed by Council, a copy will be returned to you and the Park Owner
  • On completion of the project, the Installer is required to:
    • attach a 'Compliance Plate' to the front of the development
    • provide the Park Owner and Council an Installation Certificate

Council's Environmental Health Officers are available for consultation during the process.

For building projects, a building permit will also be required.